Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 117

    Lincoln locations in Springfield

    September 19, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 75 °F

    Was a slightly difficult night for sleep; warm, muggy, then rain and lightning. It was nice to have a relatively cool morning, although it did not last long.
    IHOP just happened to be down the street so enjoyed a quick breakfast at really one of Toms favorite breakfast stops. Then drive back until Springfield just to get in a couple of more Lincoln stops.
    First was Oak Ridge Cemetry for his tomb. Very well located on a hill in the cemetery. Really well done. You walk through a circular path, much like a masoleum, and there are several niches with sculptures off Lincoln fromm various ages of his life. Tombs for Mary and 3 of the 4 boys they had are here as well. The only son that did survive was buried at Arlington.
    Sincere we were already downtown we did a quick drive by you see the state capital building, and finally to take a look at the Lincoln home. Once he left for Washington as president he never actually lives here again. We really enjoyed and appreciated the time we had to reaquaint ourselves with Lincoln and his impact.
    Headed back to IHOP, we had dropped the jeep to drive in town. Hooked back up and headed to st.louis, just about 100 miles. We are overnighting at a KOA IN Granite City, which is still in Illinois, north and east of St. Louis. Hot, muggy and so thankful that we have an awesome AC. It was 96°, the all-time record for this day in history was 97°. You can't imagine the discussions we have about who should be walking the pup...or maybe you can! The weather person was very optimistic that tomorrow we would see a record setting temperature!
    Read more