Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 134

    Nebraska State Capital

    October 6, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 68 °F

    Wow, this building is beautiful! We saw in from the interstate on our way OUT to Michigan, but didn't stop. But had read about it and didn't want to miss heading home.
    Just breif history, this the 3rd building on this site. First 2 were not built well. This one was literally built around the old one, old one demolished and this one was completed. The state decided to move away from the conventional design with the columns and one large done and go for the modern, skyscraper look. Built from 1922 to 1932. Cost, 10 million. In today's dollar, over a billion.
    Can't really describe it decently, but it has huge barrel arches, marbles mosaic floors, gorgeous tile mosaic ceilings, solid marble columns, bronze hardware, lots of sculpture and it was all united with history of Nebraska theme, native Americans to the current time.
    Our free tour happened to coincide with a 4th grade class ( actually 3 classes) so it moved a little more slowly, but still fabulous. Google this state building, top notch design team. Ceramic tile murals completed by a young 20 something that has done other notable installations with this particular architect.

    PS I forgot to mention, I don't ever remember seeing security. We just walked in! Also our tour guide recommended we peak in the Governor's waiting room and office to see the wall murals. She told us where to find them. We found it and walked in! The secretary looked up and we told her we just wanted to see this area. No problem!? The door was open to his office...I can't imagine the access to Newsom would be this easy. I never saw security folks....
    Read more