Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 136

    Scouts Rest Ranch & Scotts Bluff

    October 8, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 41 °F

    Since we were camped at the Buffalo Bill Rec Area, it was only at sort drive to the ranch he had built for his final retirement. (Ultimately he has to sell it when he runs out of money later in life) just a funny historically sore to visit. The grounds were beautiful, and still had many originally buildings, ice house, storage shed, big barn, duck pond. Interesting to have a peak at his life. Lots of "wild west" stories...
    Back on there road and left I-80 and took Hwy. 26, slightly northwest towards Scotts Bluff. We stopped a Chimney Rock for a photo op and then drove on to the Scotts Bluff national monument. Chimney Rock has a small visitors center, but we just looked from the parking lot. You can't get close to the actual rock formation because it sits on private land.
    Scotts Bluff is only about 20 miles down the road and really is a great stop. They have a nice visitor center and you can drive to the top of the bluff. (Or you can hike up) wonderful views, pine and cedars, plus a type of yucca (?) and some cactus. This is a high, dry bluff! Both landmarks are significant points on the Oregon Trail. Especially the bluff, it pretty much set the baseline for the Rockies to come! We enjoyed walking the overlooks, great weather, lots of sunshine.
    Found an RV site close by and got in a shower!
    Read more