Satellite
Show on map
  • The Big Fall

    September 15, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 70 °F

    A 17.2-mile hike today. We knew we had a big climb in front of us — and the climb pretty much started our day.

    Once I begin climbing, I try to concentrate on what is in front of me. The steepness, rockiness, and altitude play a part in how much work it will be. These hikes tend to be made up of many curves. Just as I think I am close to the top, as I turn the bend, the Camino reveals so much more to go. But there is great satisfaction once at the top!

    While the climb and walk were long and rocky, the trail was flat. It reminds me I am on the Meseta!

    As we entered the last town before our final destination for today—Fromista, we were all looking for water or some type of beverage at a Bar up ahead, and a little break from walking. I was just putting my trekking poles together to put in one hand to carry—then it happened! Walking on the flat, concrete pavement there was a rock the size of my fist that I stepped on, tripped on, and fell on. It was not pretty. As I was falling I just said, “oh please don’t lose consciousness!” There was lots of blood, but the first thing I said is, “How embarrassing!” Then as I saw the blood — I leaned forward so I would not get blood on my clothes—because as my kids know, blood can be a tough stain to get out! 🤣 (Inside joke)

    My Camino friend, the retired Marine from VA, grabbed toilet paper from his pack and told me to hold it on my head where there was a lot of bleeding. Simon ran for ice. Several others helped me up. I was fine to walk, but my head got most of the collateral damage.

    El deFronso (Marine) was looking up medical centers and Simon asked for a taxi. El deFranco said he would come with me since I don’t speak Spanish. A gentleman among the pilgrims said, “I am Brian, I have a car and would be happy to take you to the medical center!” I was so overwhelmed by the concern and kindness! I can’t begin to fully express how wonderful this community is!

    Once we arrived at the medical center, they stitches me up with 5 stitches on my eyebrow. The doctor checked out my hip, where I had a significant bump.--all was okay! Then El deFronso walked me right around the corner to the place I was staying for the night.

    I went to dinner with a handful of women I have met on the Camino, all but one traveling solo.

    As pilgrims arrived for dinner, many were happy to see me up and around. Many said they heard, “Kathie fell and had to have stitches” so when they saw me (sporting Mimi’s sunglasses) they were really happy “to see your smile!” Mimi and Jo commented, “everyone knows Kathie—she’s always so friendly and has a smile for everyone.” Then at dinner, several of the women said I brought many of us together—something I just didn’t pay attention to, but happy they felt included.

    I decided not to walk tomorrow—mostly because one of my eyes is almost closed shut. My arm is sore, I hope I will feel better so I can resume walking on Saturday.

    God is so good to me. While I look uglier than who knows what—I am just sore, I didn’t have a concussion, I didn’t lose an eye, and I didn’t break my arm, leg, or hip! And God sent amazing angels to help me during a time of need.

    I feel Jesus' presence. I feel the Blessed Mother and St. James helping me walk “The Way”. This is not to say that in my prayers I have asked God if at all possible, may I continue this faith journey without many (any) more incidents. ✝️🙏🏻

    Praying for all of you on this faith journey! Your prayers for me are most welcomed and deeply appreciated!
    Read more