Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 637

    Quito - unexpected gem!

    October 6, 2018 in Ecuador ⋅ 🌧 20 °C

    The city of flowers and UNESCO world heritage as well as our host Anni made our stay very special!

    After browsing through rather discouraging online travel reviews, we did not expect the beauty and good vibe of this unique city. We would have loved to stay longer and will definitely return to Quito and Ecuador asap!

    Again, we learned a lot about the past and present of the place on a great free walking tour including interesting insights on why Ecuador does not have it’s own currency (originally Sucre, nowadays USD) for almost 20 years and that they once managed to have 3 presidents in 5 month. Also, their president lives in the city centre next to the mayor, the most expensive and cheapest hotel are right next to each other and they built a new subway from the north to the south part of Quito (40km) in 6 years which will be officially opened in 2020 (check this out Canada and Germany;))!!!

    Despite of many political disputes and challenges Quito has changed a lot especially in the last two years. If you have the chance go and enjoy the place first hand! From our perspective it beats the among tourists and backpackers much more promoted Medellín easily! We used all kinds of public transport and walked a lot and always felt save and comfortable. The people are incredible kind and supportive. Nevertheless, use common sense and be aware of your surroundings especially after sunset as you would in every other mayor city in Central and South America!
    Read more