Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Desert Drivin'

    April 15, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    The sun rises at 0500 in Phoenix, AZ. After doing our reset, and some much needed cleaning, we set out again from Logan, UT and headed south.

    I do so enjoy the desert SW, particularly imagining what the landscapes were like when they were ocean floor. Layers and layers of mulitcolored and textured sediment towering above the plateaus.

    Our route took us through Kanab, UT! A lot has changed for this tiny little town in 10 years. Mom and Cas, the motel we stayed at is now a block sized Best Western, but the pool is the same. The rock store and brew pub we visited are still there, though neither was opened. There is a lot more shopping. Stores one would find at any mall, but lined down the main street of this once iconic town.

    We stopped in Cameron, AZ for an attempt at rest, though tonight will be easier. Some of our loads require drop off or pick up at all hours of the night, which throws off our sleep schedule.

    In Cameron we visited a 'trading post'. Or art store focused on Native art. There are a lot of these on Reservation lands and throughout the Southwest. Many of them tourist traps, complete with chinese made dream catchers. Though some are simply awesome and actually feature local artists, culture and food.

    The gallery, as that's what I would call it over trading post, was called Painted Desert. I fell in love with some of their horn and shell carvings and felt friendly toward a particular Kuchina doll with a long snoot and red tongue. That doll and I are friends. Their book section was awesome, as well. Tales of the Navajo Codetalkers, first hand accounts of Native ghost stories, a plethora of children's stories. It goes on. Books on textiles and my favorite, that I'll have to grab next time; Medicinal Plants of the American Southwest! Sam and I both picked up separate books about Coyote at the same time.

    We picked up an electric skillet last week, which has been a game changer. Though our fridge is quite small and we cannot store leftovers, or many provisions for long, I now have a way to cook meat and veg! Certainly a step up from microwave foodies and cup o noodles.

    We are headed back to Miami, AZ before, once again, headed back to the yard in Logan. The video included was taken in said town from the motel room we spoiled ourself with. We wanted to have a Game of Thrones premier date., which was fun. I more enjoyed the room to spread out and a hot shower that was not at a truck stop.
    Read more