Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Sy (Hamoir) to St Geertruid

    July 25, 2023 in Belgium ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    Today was a day of 2 extremes, the first half through beautiful wooded valleys, rivers, rock formations and with lots of wildlife. We saw 3 kingfishers within minutes, several herons, buzzards and a gaggle of geese ferry gliding across the river. The river Ourthe starts as a small stream but gradually becomes a wide and deep river. As we got nearer Liege the urban sprawl took over and we joined the river Meuse (Maas) with large cargo barges making their way up and down stream. Plenty of Dutch barges too in which people were making their homes.
    We passed the old steelworks on the other side of Liege where once 40.000 people worked and producing 6000 tons of raw iron. Now derelict and half demolished a sad remain of the industrial revolution!

    Once we passed Liege we got to Vise and made it up the hill into Limburg and back to where we started. A great trip with better then average weather!
    For the last night of our trip we stayed at the 'Kersengaard' (the Cherry Orchard), a lovely small campsite on a farm with only 15 pitches. Lovely facilities and a quiet site with very friendly owners (Wilma and her son Michael) would recommend! Only £20 for the 2 of us with 1 tent. Tomorrow on to Zeeland to check out a campsite for the 2024 tandem rally and then on the Hoek van Holland ferry overnight to home!
    Read more