Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 28

    Trek America-Missoula to Yellowstone NP

    May 17, 2015 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 3 °C

    We broke camp by 6:30am to be on the road and at Yellowstone National Park by midday. A light drizzle flicked against the windscreen whilst mist rolled off tree covered mountains.
    The mountains edged closer and further away befire returning as we moved east and south ti Yellowstone. We came across cowboys hearding cattle across the plains, having to edge our van through the herd as it leaned into the road. Later we found buffalo grazed at the roadside against the panorama.

    We stopped at a Safeway (remember them?) for supplies, not thinking too much when the cashier said 'oh you might see some snow' after asking where we were headed. But sure enough when we arrived at our campsite it was littered with the winter's snow that had not been thawed by the approaching summer. Fortunately the ground where we pitched our tents was absent of the snow. However the temperature still bobbed at 8-10C at midday.

    We pitched our tents and lunch before spending the afternoon visiting some of the park's geysers including the famous Old Faithful, which has gained its name from the regularity at which its shoots jets of boiling water into the air. When we arrived we were informed that Old Faithful would next erupt in a hour, giving us time to wander the park and see some of the other geysers. The group separated and we set off with Matti, setting an alarm to make sure we were back in time to see Old Faithful erupt. The three of us made good time but as we approached the site of Old Faithful we saw a sign directing visitors to an observation point 1/2 mile away at a 200ft gradient. Our alarm told us we had 8 minutes or so until the eruption, making a quick decision and an even quicker ascent to the observation point, we arrived just in time with our lungs heaving to get some good photos of Old Faithful erupting with the crowds looking on.

    After the show we returned to the group triumphant at our endeavour, physical and mental perseverance paying off. We returned to camp and celebrated with tacos and beers before roasting marshmallows over an open fire.
    Read more