Satellit
Auf Karte anzeigen
  • Tag 56

    Taupo

    14. Juni 2015 in Neuseeland ⋅ 🌬 10 °C

    As the Tongorario Alpine Crossing was closed due to severe weather we chose to hike to the Huka Falls. However we deliberately took our time in doing so after a week of near constant travel. Taking the trail parallel to the Waikato River, which flows into Lake Taupo, our expectations were more for a solid hike than the falls themselves. Admittedly, our excitement at seeing the falls was somewhat muted due to having already seen a number in New Zealand already and likely more to come. Yet we were surprised by the colour and the power of the Huka Falls when they came into view. The deep turquoise of the river is sucked into a narrow corridor of rock where it is thrashed into a white frenzy before being projected out as if from a tap. The noise is thunderous, eclipsing the wind and wildlife around it.

    Once back in Tapou we decided to visit it's own hot water beach, curious to see how it compared to what we experienced on the Coromandel peninsula. We walked along the shoreline of Lake Taupo, which is the crater of a dormant super volcano. It is so big that you can fit Singapore into it and when it last erupted over 1000 years ago, there were reports of ash falling in China. Luckily there were no eruptions today but we were disappointed to find that what little hot water was present at high tide, was scalding in temperature. So instead of bathing we sat at its edge and watched the sun set as gulls and ducks paddled at the tide's edge.

    We returned to our hostel for dinner and a night in with a film. It felt surreal yet relaxing to be doing something so familiar to being at home after so many new experiences.
    Weiterlesen