Satelliet
Weergeven op kaart
  • Dag 76

    Queenstown

    4 juli 2015, Nieuw-Zeeland ⋅ ☀️ 2 °C

    Last night we went out to celebrate Pierrick's birthday. It will sound odd after all the activities we have done but going out for a sit-down meal and drinks is something of a special event on our backpacker budget. Not only was it was Pierrick's birthday but it was also the last night before our little group went its separate ways after a month travelling together. From Auckland up to Cape Reinga and back again before snaking through the North Island into Wellington and back out down the West Coast to Queenstown.

    We went for dinner at a pizzeria where Alex's order of a chicken and avocado salad drew some interested looks but Jamie's order of deep pan pizza was regrettable when it came with a year's supply of cheese and he couldn't finish it. Washed down with beer, wine and tequila we sang happy birthday as the waitress brought out candles precariously balanced on top of a quickly melting ice cream sundae.

    After dinner we went to a bar where Bill Murray watched proceedings from his wall hanging. Strobes splashed colour over dancers as bass reverberated down our spines and off the floorboards. Teapots hung over the bar from which you could drink cocktails but it was tequila that kept our party going. Fire, salt and lemon lingered in our mouths as the late night rolled into the early hours. We stepped out into the cold and said our goodbyes under the stars.

    Earlier in the day we swapped rooms at our hostel as we had two separate bookings. This meant no more affable Aussie, Tom, to share our room with. Instead we now share with German, Patrick, who talks in his sleep (in English incidentally) and snores with the consistency of a Japanese rail network. As a result (and maybe the tequila) neither of us slept very well so today has been 'go-slow' again. We put the finishing touches to our northbound plans whilst watching the world go by, sheltered by the warm glow from the wood burner in our lounge.
    Meer informatie