Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 80

    Kiwi Exp. - Kaikoura to Wellington

    July 8, 2015 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 5 °C

    We continued northward along the coastal road, out of Kaikoura and toward Picton, from where we would take the Interislander ferry back to Wellington. On the rocks between the road and the ocean basked hundreds of adult seals, many pointing their noses upward to the rising sun. Behind them the coast rose straight up to mountains where a fresh dusting of snow lay like icing sugar on top of a cake.

    We stopped at Ohau Point to hike up to a waterfall where dozens of seal pups played in its pool. They twisted and splashed in the water, their coats a soft grey before entering and a slick black when exiting. Their dry fur appeared to radiate a softness that you felt without touching and their black pearl eyes gazed back at us from the water and rocks.

    The pups access the pool by a small stream that connects to the ocean and the waterfall acts as a natural nursery for them whilst their parents go out to hunt. Although we have already seen seals during our time in New Zealand, it was a memorable experience seeing such creatures so close in the wild.

    Onward we travelled to our ferry and the weather reported heavy swells for the crossing. Given the seasickness that we had both experienced on the crossing South we came prepared with seasickness tablets and a plan to remain downstairs at the back of the boat. True to forecast, the crossing was rough as we moved out into the Cook Straight. The ferry shuddered as if braking hard as its hull battled with the swell. Rolling waves rocked the boat to stagger passengers and roll table top items. All the while Kiwi passengers cheered on their gods in black as televisions showed the All Blacks playing Samoa.

    Fortunately the tablets worked brilliantly and for all the drama caused by the sea we came through unscathed. Walking the streets of Wellington brought a sense of deja vous. Although we were last in the city 3 weeks ago, it felt longer with everything we had done. Neither would we linger as tomorrow we would travel further North to continue to final stages of our New Zealand adventure.
    Read more