Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 81

    Kiwi Exp. - Wellington to Taupo

    July 9, 2015 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌬 3 °C

    Although the forecast reported that the weather in Taupo was fine, it was cold and wet in Wellington and would get progressively worse as we ventured further North. Uncharacteristically the hills surrounding Wellington had received a snow fall overnight, much to the bemusement of adults and excitement of children. It appears that New Zealand is experiencing a particularly cold winter so far and freshly sheared sheep tip toed through frosted pastures. Soon we entered a dull white scenery where clouds cloaked the sky and snow coated the ground. Black cattle wandered, their breath steaming on the air, to create a mono landscape.

    The weather caused the Desert Road, which squeezes between the Tongariro National Park and the Kaimanawa Forest Park, to close forcing us to detour around the Tongariro National Park. As we drove through the wild landscape the snow receded and the sun appeared above us. We passed a collection of old military buildings used until the early 1970s for New Zealand’s program of conscription. Rather than abandon the buildings after conscription ceased, under the promotion of Sir Edmund Hilary, they and many others around the country were converted to accommodate school trips so children could experience the New Zealand countryside and its nature. Primary and secondary schoolchildren across New Zealand will attend these camps 2-3 times during their education and participate in a range of outdoor activities.

    When we stopped at a lookout above Lake Taupo the temperature remained cold but the skies were clearing to expose the sun, which threw its light across the waters, reflecting the bright blue colour back into the atmosphere. Gone was the snow, replaced by the lush green of forests and fields, nurtured by winter rains.

    On our way into Taupo we booked ourselves onto an expedition of the Tongariro Crossing. This is considered one of the most popular one day hikes in New Zealand, being 20km one way and taking 6-8 hours to complete. We had wanted to do this when we were last in Taupo but had been prevented by severe weather closing the trail. Whilst snow showers and high winds closed it today and tomorrow, the forecast indicates that it could be safe to traverse on Saturday. However we will be unable to confirm if the expedition will go ahead until after 2:00pm tomorrow. Fingers crossed!
    Read more