Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 93

    Byron Bay

    July 21, 2015 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    We were tired and disorientated when we set foot off the bus into the dim early morning light of Byron Bay. We staggered into the local supermarket for breakfast supplies before slanting off like backpacking zombies in the direction of our hostel.

    The hostel offers a free shuttle bus service at specific times of the day but we had just missed one and another did not arrived for 2 hours. So we lugged ourselves and our rucksacks through the wet gloom. Now we never have or will expect any sympathy as we are on a brilliant adventure, however the walk to the hostel was one of the most difficult we have encountered due to the wet weather and fatigue. We like to think we’re a pretty determined pair but at one point we both dumped our bags down for a breather and to gain a better sense of direction.

    As it was we arrived at the hostel quickly after this and it was much to our relief that the ACDC loving surfer/receptionist let us check in 6 hours before we normally should be able to. After showers, breakfast and a nap we felt a lot better and when the weather perked up we strolled back into town along the wide golden beach that is a stone’s throw from the hostel.

    Byron Bay has a strong surfing culture and the town reminded us of Queenstown with its trendy cafes and shops selling apparel related to its adopted sport. Tomorrow we plan to try some surfing ourselves but today we just hung out in hammocks in the hostel’s garden of palms, ferns and birdlife.
    Read more