Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 100

    Rainbow Beach to Agnes Water

    July 28, 2015 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    It was another uneventful bus journey to Agnes Water (apart from a comical elderly couple with mobility scooters and helmets) so this is a good time to mention the group we shared our Fraser Island trip with.

    There were 14 of us in total, which was lucky considering that some groups are as big as 40 and there was a good mix of nationalities. There was Tais, a teacher from Sao Paolo who travelled all the way to Australia to learn English only to meet more Brazilians including her boyfriend; Johanna and Karolina, bubbly trainee doctors from Stockholm and larger than life law student Querijn from Amsterdam who brought a sleeping bag, 2 cartons of wine and a bottle of vodka with him (he told us he was prepared to 'party' in a heavy Dutch accent). There were also 2 German couples from Stuttgart and Dosseldorf and 4 Dutch girls. We were the only English travellers but English became the default language. We all got on well but other than Querijn, who may be in Cairns around the same time as us, we will not meet them again. Unlike in the USA and New Zealand where we travelled with a group for a duration of time, we are now meeting different people in different places for short periods of time before going our separate ways. We're still having great fun but it means that there isn't as much to tell about those we meet because it is so brief.

    Our hostel in Agnes Water is interesting in that, unexpectedly, the walls to our double room do not fully reach the ceiling. This means that whilst we have the privacy of a wall and door, we are effectively sharing the room with 2 other double bedrooms in the building. An elaborate dorm room then?!
    Read more