Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 110

    Great Barrier Reef

    August 7, 2015, Coral Sea ⋅ 🌙 22 °C

    Half-light crept over surfaces, their edges blunted in shadow, as we quietly readied ourselves. Anticipation rustled in our hearts and tickled at our throats. We were beginning our journey to the Great Barrier Reef.

    Such is the popularity of the reef that a plethora of boat charters leave daily from a purpose built terminal at Cairns marina. We checked in, airport style, onto a large white catamaran emblazoned with red and black design. Powerful twin engines roared, propelling us from the harbour and leaving Cairns behind in a trail of white water. We basked under clear sunshine on the front deck as the catamaran bounced on the chop of the open water.

    The size and diversity of the reef provides many different points to explore it from. After 2 hours of sailing we reached an area named Hastings. A patchwork of azure and cobalt indicated the rise and fall of the coral beneath the water's surface, which rocked with small waves capped with white crowns. We changed into our wetsuits and snorkelling gear before descending into the sea. Slipping our masked faces under the swaying surface, breathing methodical through the snorkel and kicking out with our flippers, we made our way out toward the coral.

    In places the coral was so close and the water so shallow that we had to be careful not to touch it as we glided above. The photographs we were able to take do not do justice to what we saw. Fishes bearing the colours of the rainbow swam in and out of alien shaped coral, all within hands reach. We would stare endlessly down upon the spectacle, forgetting our location to the boat and even each other, needing to break our attention away to reconfirm our bearings. An hour passed like minutes before we began to get cold and needed to retire back to the boat.

    We dried out and ate lunch out on the deck as the water glittered in the sun and teemed with fish. We moved on to Michaelmas Cay, a sandbar and bird sanctuary surrounded by coral. We jumped off the boat and swam to the beach from where we sat looking back in a dream-like state. The water lapped at our fins and pushed our bodies further up onto the sand. After catching our breath we made our way back across the enchanting coral.

    Our excited yells were muffled by snorkel and water as we spotted a giant green sea turtle swimming across our path. It's black opal eyes starred back at us as its wide flippers stroked through the water to carry its broad mottled shell. We followed and marvelled at a distance until it settled down into the fur of the coral. It was the pinnacle of an amazing experience that we will never forget.

    On the return journey the catamaran's engines were cut so only the sound of the water lapping at the hull was left. The sails were unfurled, cracking and slapping open as they caught the wind to quietly pull us back to Cairns. Sat on the back deck, we watched the reef fade away on the horizon and reflected on how lucky we were to witness such natural beauty.
    Read more