Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 118

    Airlie Beach

    August 15, 2015 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    The sun radiated through glass and curtain to heat the air in our small bedroom. The thin fabric of the curtain offered little protection and cast a yellow hue over the walls.

    Outside a crowd thronged through the Saturday morning market along the cream curve of beach. Pungent incense merged with sweet fresh fruit and dense candle scent. The whoop and thump of didgeridoos played over a chatter of gossip. Jewellery glimmered and colourful fabric fluttered.

    Past the market and lying on grass we looked out to a forest of masts lining the marina whilst children splashed in the protection of the lagoon. Further into town sunburnt shoulders and tattoos were on parade as a bar musician murdered Crosby Stills and Nash.

    Upon our return we found the hostel absent of light and learnt that power was out through to the next port. Patiently we waited in the growing dark and a staggered cheer went up when a fluorescent glow flickered back through the building.
    Kim is starting to feel unwell so after a quick dinner it was early to bed. Fortunately she is immune to man flu, which everyone knows is the worst kind of flu you can get.
    Read more