Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 135

    Stray - Chiang Mai to Huay Xai, Laos

    September 1, 2015 in Laos ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    Our small group spilt as we continued on to cross the border into Laos whilst Jacob, Poppy and Thomas decided to stay longer in Thailand. We were not alone however as Anna, from Switzerland, joined us in Chiang Mai to travel onto Luang Prabang in Laos.

    Clambering into a mini-van we took winding roads northward out of the city and toward the border. After several hours we got out at a roadside rest stop, where hot springs gushed up through the concrete of the car park. We brought a small woven basket of eggs that we dunked into the boiling waters with a fishing rod, eating these later on in the day.

    Later we stopped at Wat Kung Rhon or 'The White Palace', a contemporary art exhibit owned, designed and constructed by a Thai artist, Chalermchai Kositpipat. First opening in 1997, construction continues and completion is not expected until 2070. Mr Kositpipat has spent millions of Thai Baht to date and it is reported that he considers the exhibit to be an offering to Buddha and the Thai people.

    Despite the dull soak of rain clouds, the scale of detail and design of the exhibit was still phenomenal to view. White and gold stood bold with silver and bronzed edges and the traditional Asian and Buddhist design mixed with contemporary and pop culture (the heads of Marvel comic book characters hung from the trees).
    Around the main temple were artificial trees made with thousands of individual decorations that visitors had written their names upon and would be part of the final completed exhibit. Even the toilets, described as 'the most beautiful in the world', were housed in a grand golden palace of a building.

    Leaving the fantastical palace behind we moved closer to the border. Passing stretches of rice paddy fields, the hills and mountains of Laos drew up before us. There is now a Friendship Bridge' connecting Thailand and Laos but until recently it was necessary to cross this point by ferry over the Mekong river. After paying the price in patience and U.S. Dollars we completed the necessary bureaucracy and entered Laos.

    Getting Lao currency (Kip) from the ATM we found we had become millionaires as it is approximately 12,500 Kip to £1. Unfortunately this will only last us a few days, even on a backpacker budget, so we won't be living the high life just yet.
    Read more