Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 150

    Stray - Don Det to Siem Reap, Cambodia

    September 16, 2015 in Cambodia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    It was time to say goodbye to Laos and hello to Cambodia.

    We squatted in the bottom of our shallow canoe boat back to the mainland, scrambling off as local women climbed over the bow to reach their own vessel, laden with purchases that included a bright yellow child’s bicycle. The boats rocked rapidly under our combined weight and movement.

    A short bus ride later and we were crossing the border into Cambodia on foot, ducking under the giant red and white barrier across the road. From there the usual heptathlon in bureaucracy awaited us, hauling our bags between tents and huts, each with their own rubber stamps and officials in starched uniforms. The one new addition was the requirement of a ‘health check’ for $1, which involved having an infra-red scanner pointed at your forehead for your temperature to be taken. As much as this felt like a fleecing by Cambodian immigration to the sum of $2, it was certainly preferential to a rectal thermometer…

    With the final rubber stamp complete it was a long bus ride through to Siem Reap. Whilst the road was noticeable improved from some of those that we had travelled upon in Laos the traffic is more chaotic. Buses, lorries, tractors and scooters all vied for space, tooting their horns as they overtook each other in a bid to reach Siem Reap first. The chaos was compounded by what can only be described as a ‘cow slalom’ created by the multiple herds of cattle, either sitting or wandering, on both sides of the road. Luckily no damage was caused by the sharp braking and turning.

    Our new and friendly travel companions who ‘hopped-on’ with us at Don Det include; Alisha from New Zealand, Harriett from London, Christian and Mats from Norway and Chelsea from Canada. However these new friendships will be fleeting as whilst we will power on toward Vietnam, Alisha and Harriett ‘hop-off’ in Siem Rep whilst the others will do the same at Sihanoukville in a few days time.
    Read more