Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Closing Ceremony!

    August 8, 2015 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    We are all currently sat next to one of the two domes in the shade, with two hours to kill before we have to depart on a bus which will take us to a train station. From here, we will catch a bullet train to Tokyo for the last leg of our journey. We're all very sad that we have to leave the Jamboree site behind us but we all have new friends and great memories because of it.

    Yesterday was a day of dropping tents and packing up which everyone found incredibly tedious but there was one point before the evening was upon us where everyone was enjoying themselves. As I'm sure you are aware our leaders have worked very hard for the last 18 months making sure we have a very enjoyable, smooth and memorable Jamboree and through any troubles we or they may have had, they managed to pull it off. To say thank you we paid the Hungarian food house to bake a cake for 40 for us and also wrote down a little message of thanks to the leaders and put them in a UK contingent water bottle. The leaders were all emotional but they deserved it and once again on behalf of the KD's I'd like to thank all of the leaders for being amazing. We couldn't have hoped for any better!

    Later on in the evening was the closing ceremony. It was enjoyed by all and saw the handing over of the Jamboree to North America where it will be held in 2019. It also saw some high profile guests from within Scouting, Japanese parliament and the UN talk to us about various issues and how we can change the world in enjoyable, inspirational lectures. The closing ceremony was great except for one element... the entertainment. There were two artists that are apparently big in Japan. The first was called C-UTE and were very hyperactive. I don't think any of us enjoyed it immensely but none of us could have expected what came next. There was an American artist (who lives in Japan) called Marty Friedman who came on with his band. The Swiss next to us enjoyed them but I think they're the only ones. In fact, Gwyn believed that "Marty Friedman exemplifies the contents of Pandora's box" along with many other statements about him. Even though the music didn't appeal to all of us, the closing ceremony was still very good and we will all remember it fondly.
    Read more