Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Los Angeles, California

    January 5, 2015 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    This is the end of the road for most of the people on the boat. We have avoided all the farewell parties, etc. They were just depressing. :-)
    Jeff is having a "big" birthday celebration tomorrow so his (and since meeting them, our) good friends Trish and Don stayed in LA on their way home from New Zealand and took him out to celebrate. He will outline the day on his travel blog but suffice it to say it was very special. I don't think I have ever eaten a better soft pretzel then the one we had at Nelson's on the coast north of town.
    Leaving was a much less raucous affair then at Fort Lauderdale. The World Cruisers were a little tired from their travels to get here and the party that most of them had last night. We were pretty excited to be facing 8 days out at sea and going out of the massive harbor in LA was pretty special but it was not like leaving the dock the first night.
    The ship lost 50 crew members here and some 300 passengers. We have about 240 passengers on board for this leg and almost 300 crew so nothing is crowded except the walking track. :-) Next stop Nuku Hiva in the Marquesas.
    Read more