Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 52

    Port Lincoln, Australia

    February 4, 2015 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Port Lincoln is just across the bay from Adelaide and is a much more "frontier" town then Adelaide. It fashions itself as the "Seafood Capital of Australia" and houses the main tuna fishing fleet. The fishing boats go out into the Southern Ocean off the coast and find the big schools of tuna and corral them with nets. Then instead of bring them in they haul the nets out of the ocean to the bay around Port Lincoln where they feed the tuna and, I suppose, wait for the price to go up and then harvest then for sushi in Japan mainly. It is a very interesting operation and you can actually get in the pens and swim with the tuna. They say the nets not only keep the tuna in but the great white sharks out which does seem to be a plus since they are also famous for their great whites. You can swim with them in cages if you want as well. Needless to say Nancy did not do any of these and while I did want to cage dive with the sharks time did not permit us to do it on this trip so maybe next time. :-)
    They are also famous for some horse that was kind of like our Sectretariat called Mykabe Diva. They also train some of their horses on the long beach in the front of town. We saw the one below doing "wind sprints" down the beach and then cooling off in the ocean water.
    Read more