Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 83

    Port Klang (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)

    March 7, 2015 in Malaysia ⋅ ⛅ 33 °C

    A pleasant surprise awaited us in Kuala Lumpur or KL as everyone calls it. it is the capital of Malaysia and a very cosmopolitan city. Since we have hardly heard of it we approached it with no expectations whatsoever. We got a cab for $85 to take us the hour into KL and show us around. A nice Muslim chap named Fisal who spoke pretty good English took us around and waited for us to see the Petronus Towers, go up the KL tower to see the entire city and walk around the old city. He even took us into the museum and gave us a history lesson of the old city and how Malaysia started. We then went to the Central Market for the traditional eating of food we have no idea what it is. :-) Then we did a little shopping. Nancy and Ali look quite good in there Malaysian attire and I got a nice white collarless shirt so that I would fit in as well. He gave us a premier on life in KL as well.
    It was an interesting city as it had a lot of aspects of Singapore in that the main business district was quite pristine and looked very unlived in. It differed though in that it still had a little of the rougher Chinatown area that contained some of the more gritty parts of the city. It didn't look dirty or dangerous just like life was going on there. I hope KL can maintain that balance as they grow. They are growing fast though so it may be hard. They have got a good start.
    The one picture shows the juxtaposition of the old architecture with the Petronus and KL tower in the background. We also just had to stop by and take a picture of a temple. We are in Southeast Asia afterall.
    Read more