Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    A trip back in time

    August 29, 2017 in Hungary ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Many years ago (1974, in fact) we made a brief visit with Panni, her mother and her brother Janos (now living in Rome) to the historic town of Szentendre. We recall that things were very rushed at the time and we really didn't do full justice to the place. It was time for a return visit.

    It's certainly a vey interesting place, dating back to about the 10th century. It contains numerous churches in various styles which reflect its long history - or the history of the many races which occupied the area over the centuries. There's an absolute maze of streets full of historic building, where it's very easy to get totally lost - as we well and truly proved.

    Nowadays the town caters mainly to tourists, and there are dozens of restaurants and shops selling all sorts of authentic things from fantastic cakes and marzipan to the usual T-shirts and suchlike. It still has a lot of charm and character, and we thoroughly enjoyed our leisurely wander around this historic town.

    We then drove back, had some pleasant drinks in a historic part of Buda then strolled back to our boat. We'd enjoyed our previous night's dinner so much that we decided to go back there. It may have been hard for us to find an authentic Hungarian restaurant, but it's going to be a whole lot harder back home in Brisbane, so we wanted to make the most of this opportunity on our last night here. We weren't disappointed apart, that is, from the fact that both of us were too full to indulge in any of the deliciously unhealthy desserts.
    Read more