Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    K-Roadtrip Part IV final - Andong

    April 23, 2023 in South Korea ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    Hahoe Minsok Maeul (Folk Village) close to Andong is all about traditions and deserves its Unesco World Heritage status. This is the place to catch a glimpse of how rural village life was and here also still continues to be (with some modern practicalities, that is to say). Followed by watching the traditional mask dance and visiting the mask museum, exhibiting not only Korean masks but from all over the world. Before finishing our roadtrip, we once more enjoyed the typical Korean hilly/mountainous landscapes (65% of South Korea is forest with 22 national parks and 3 times bigger than NL) and passed by Haeinsa temple. Not only an amazingly natural setting (again) but housing the Tripitaka Koreana, the most complete collection of Buddhist texts engraved on 80.000+ woodblocks (each 3-4 kg and 70x24 cm) dated from the 13th century.

    On another note: Driving and speed limits. Seems that controls are almost only done by camera’s. Sometimes every other (few) kilometer(s). Hidden? Nope… in plain sight, even several warning signs including on the navigation system. Result: some drive but also brake like insanes, us being overtaken by trucks, busses, big construction vehicles and even schoolbusses. Time to end the roadtrip and return the car.
    Read more