Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 75

    Borobudur & Prambanan

    June 21, 2023 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    Day tripping from Yogya to the Hindu temples of Prambanan, The huge complex from the 8-10th century AD has gone through quite some challenges: earthquakes, treasure hunters and just locals looking for building materials so many temples still need to be restored. The biggest draw are the 8 main temples in the central courtyard and are simply put impressive.

    We found a nice little oasis in the middle of the rice fields in Borobudur, also called the garden of Java because of its green rice fields, nature surrounded by volcanic peaks. Exploring the area on bikes, cooling off in the swimming pool, treated by amazing sunset colors and enjoying a fantastic dinner in the middle of the garden, ooh yeah tough life! Trying to catch sunrise with the Borobudur and infamous Gunung Merapi on the background, team KuMi is on it and took a scooter taxi at 5am, followed by a small hike to Punthuk Setumbu for fantastic vistas!

    After breakfast it is time to explore Borobudur from up close. This Buddhist colossal monument has been abandoned actually soon after its completion and was forgotten for almost a 1000 years. Earthquakes, jungle growing back, terrorist bombings, volcano eruptions, Boro had to endure quite some catastrophes and is now Indonesia’s nr 1 tourist spot.
    Read more