Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    South Klondike Highway

    August 20, 2017 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    This highway runs between Whitehorse and Skagway.

    Emerald Lake is a photo stop along the way. Organisms in the water create the vivid aqua/emerald colour.

    We stop at Carcross, then follow Lake Taggert through spectacular mountain scenery. We are driving along the base of Montana Mountain. Here they mined gold, silver, copper, coal and jade from the one mountain. Derelict mine buildings are dotted around.

    Beside Lake Tutshi, we stop to take photos of this very deep lake surrounded by mountains.

    Tormented Valley marks the start of the White Pass huge glaciers have carved the terrain back to bedrock. These are the headwaters of the Yukon River.

    Along this stretch we have to pass through border control. Whitehorse is in Canada and Skagway is in Alaska, USA. This includes customs declarations that we had filled out on entry into Canada yesterday.....but we still had to do it again. Light rain has set in now as we climb back over the Coastal Range late in the day. We see 2 signs of wildlife - a black bear on a ridge and a coyote beside the road. Both are too quick for any of us to get photos.
    Read more