Satellite
Show on map
  • Day15

    A Russian heritage

    August 22, 2019 in the United States ⋅ 🌧 13 °C

    The Alutiiq have been in this region for some 7,500 years. Their story is told in the Alutiiq Museum.
    The Russians came in the late 1700's and set up this building in 1808 and set up a Magazin, the Russian word for store.
    The US purchased Russia in 1867 and this building became the home of the manager of the Kodiak Trading Company.
    In 1911, the Erskine family turned the building into their home.
    In 1948, it was a rooming house.
    In 1967, the City of Kodiak purchased. the building and opened the museum.
    During the tsunami, of 1964, the waves reached up to the front porch of this building which is high above the waterfront.
    Read more