Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    A Hike to a Rickety Suspension Bridge

    December 15, 2019 in Mexico ⋅ 🌙 12 °C

    A beautiful river, and several smaller streams, flow through this valley. We walked down a side street towards the river and decided to follow a track through agricultural fields next to it. A family was picnicking and swimming in the river and an elderly man and his dog were sitting on its banks, enjoying the peace and quiet.

    We got to a point where there were some rapids and we noticed a suspension bridge to the other
    side of the river. It didn’t look like a very safe bridge. Boards were missing, it was on a slant, and
    the guard rails weren’t really guarding. We crossed one by one as the bridge was definitely a swinging suspension bridge. Our mini thrill for the afternoon.

    After our walk, we headed back into town, where we stopped for a smoothie. There is a very cool, new coffee shop in the centre called Cafe con Leche y Deli. You can sit comfortably there and have a coffee, tea, or cold drinks as well as sandwiches or cookies. It is very nice. We bought their local coffee beans, and they ground them for us. About $7 Cdn (100 pesos) for 1 kg.

    As it was getting close to dinner time, we stopped at a recommended restaurant called Restaurant Navidad and had breaded cutlets with french fries, rice and little salad. The cutlets were so big that we took home half and will make sandwiches tomorrow for lunch.

    So, for under $20 Cdn we had two big meals with an appetizer, 2 Coronas and the tip. Pretty good value.

    Our total distance walked today was 8 km.
    .
    Read more