Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 77

    Movie Effects Tours at the Weta Workshop

    February 25, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    Weta Workshops is a world-leading design and effects service that started out in the backroom of a flat in Wellington in 1987. They are the group responsible for the creative work in many visually amazing movies. As of 2017, Weta Digital has won six Academy Awards for Best Visual Effects: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001), The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002), The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003), King Kong (2005), Avatar (2009), and The Jungle Book (2016).

    We decided to go on two of their tours. One of them was a Weta Workshop tour where we learned about how many of the props, puppets and scenery for The Lord of the Rings was made. They also talked about the problems and solutions that they had while creating the creatures, costumes and props. Super interesting and all packed into a 45 minute guided tour. So much information!

    We were not able to take photos in many areas of the tour because of copyright rules. Our photos are just small samples of the many wonderful things we saw.

    We then moved on to another building to do a Miniature Effects Tour. This was anther 45 minute tour through a real television shooting stage for the remake of the Thunderbirds Are Go! TV series. I remember the original Thunderbirds TV show for kids using marionettes. I really didn’t like it very much but maybe my brother did...looking back though, it was very creative.

    The artists created an entire miniature island and a pretty pink mansion. They are very detailed and if you look very closely, you realise that a big part of these models are built from repurposed everyday materials - lime squeezers, old razors, cds, and all types of throwaway materials. It is very cool.

    Anyways, we enjoyed the tours and have a new found respect for the creative minds who worked so lovingly on all the movies that they have supplied special effects for.
    Read more