Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 81

    Taking it Easy

    February 29, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Today is Saturday. As we had some catching up to do, some bookings to arrange and just wanted to chill a bit, we started the day by going back to Nelson to visit it’s Saturday Market. It is well-known as a showcase for the arts, crafts and produce of the Nelson region. As we wandered around we saw pottery, woodware, jewellery, homewares, clothing and foods. On top of those things, the market had a wide variety of food carts, making it a wonderful place for locals to meet friends and share brunch or lunch before or after a visit to the market. There were a lot of tourists there also.

    At 2 p.m., we returned to our BnB and had a little walkabout around Dawn’s ‘farm’. Dawn is quite the lady. She can do and does do everything around the farm. It is in a lovely location overlooking mountains and the Tasman Bay. The farmlet (4 acres) with its gardens, ponds, native bush and birds is on top of a high hill and is filled with quite a menagerie of animals - sweet rag doll cats, alpacas, chickens and ducks.

    Dawn jumped on her digger and started pulling out a tree that is too close to her henhouse. Chris went to help her take away some of the brush. I would imagine that there is no end to the projects that Dawn wants to do! A garden here, a cleaning there, a path here and a sitting area over there. She has the energy and loves sharing her beautiful place with others. We would not hesitate to stay at Tumbleweed Downs in Mapua if we ever return to New Zealand.
    Read more