Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 89

    The National Transport and Toy Museum

    March 8, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌧 12 °C

    Another rainy day today. We can’t complain, it has only rained twice since we have been here. It is a good day to get caught up and maybe see a toy and transport museum.

    Close to the Wanaka airport, there is a unique museum with a collection of 60,000+ toys & vehicles. We read that it is a family-run private collection with over 600 vehicles, 20 military and civilian aircraft, over 60,000 toys and 1,000's of miscellaneous items. A hoarder’s delight!

    There were vehicles of all descriptions, including over 300 motor cars, 30 fire engines, 50 trucks, 100 motorbikes and scooters, construction equipment, military vehicles and guns. Toys, toys, toys, and more toys!

    There are 1,000's of die cast models, Meccano, Lego, dolls and Teddy bears, tin, windup, clockwork and battery-powered toys plus much much more. Something different around every corner including typewriters, hurricane lamps, sewing machines, musical instruments and kitchen utensils and over 6,000 souvenir spoons. All of these items were housed in 4 large buildings and outdoor displays based on 16 acres.

    We have never seen such a collection of old items, all in one place! Wow!

    It was a good place to visit on a rainy afternoon.
    Read more