Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 96

    Plans for the Journey Home

    March 15, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    So, we are at the tiny Invercargill Airport, waiting for a delayed Air New Zealand plane (1/2 hour) to take us to Christchurch. We will miss our original plane at 2 p.m. but will catch one at 3 p.m. This works out for us as it cuts the wait time in Auckland by an hour.

    We decided to put our backpacks in the luggage compartment. They will go straight to L.A. We will have to pick them up there, go through security and then probably carry them on board to Toronto.

    The attendant was able to cancel our previous flight and sent a message to Air NZ so we can get reimbursed for that trip. They are announcing that they will be reimbursing.

    We returned our Apex rental car and will have to go through TD insurance to get our money for 2 weeks of car rental back. Same with health insurance. We paid top up insurance and have contacted OTIP/RAEO re a reimbursement. We got our money back for the ferry crossing though.

    All of our accommodation reservations are returning our money without question.

    From Auckland, we catch an Air NZ plane at 7:30 p.m. then the 12 hour flight to L.A. A four hour wait there and then a 4 1/2 hour flight to Toronto.

    Red car cab will pick us up and take us to Guelph where we will pick up our car with groceries that our kids put in it, and go home to Fergus. I imagine that we will get home just after midnight. New Zealand time will be around 5 p.m. so we should be okay.
    Read more