Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Three Kings’ Day

    January 6, 2022 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Every January 6, Three Kings Day is celebrated in Mexico. The children wake up very early in the morning and run to open the gifts that the ‘Three Kings of the East’ have left near the family’s Nativity scene. The day is spent playing games and spending time with extended family.

    A traditional bread called a Rosca de Reyes is served on this day. It is a large, sweet dough bread in the shape of a big donut or an oval and decorated with dried fruits. It is supposed to represent the crown that the kings wear. The fruit on it are supposed to look like the gems on the crowns.

    Hidden in the loaf is special surprise - a tiny, plastic baby Jesus. The lucky, or unlucky, person who gets this figure will have to make or buy tamales for all the guests who ate a piece of the loaf, later in the year on February 2, Candlemas Day.

    We knew about this tradition from past years, so I went hunting for a Rosca. The problem we had, was that the loaves that we found were huge, enough for 20 people. Eventually I did find a little one but there were no babies in it and we ate it all before I could get a photo.

    So luckily, I don’t have to make tamales for February 2!

    The photo isn’t one of ours but shows what the loaf looks like.

    P.S. I wrote this blog too soon. There was one piece of cake left. Chris ate it and got the baby. Not sure about his Mexican culinary skills for making tamales!
    Read more