Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    All about Food

    January 6, 2022 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    When we first arrive in any new place, we usually spend about $100 at the beginning and buy food basics, the stuff you may take on a short camping trip. I.e. milk, eggs, butter, sandwich meat, roast chicken, toilet paper, etc. We didn’t know what we could get in small Troncones, so on our way north, we stopped in Zihuatanejo at the Mega Soriana. It looks like it has everything that we may crave in the future.

    It is always so much fun to shop in a food store in other countries. Food is displayed differently and there is just a nice feel to it. Sometimes, we have to guess what things are as things are packaged differently and there are different fruits, vegetables and meats.

    Today, we went back to Zihua (1/2 hour away) to do a more through shopping. Troncones stores offer fruit, vegetables, coffee, juices and lots of seafood. But we wanted to fill the freezer with a variety of meat including sandwich meats and bacon. Mega also has several kinds of cheese and even pickles.

    I also got some bug spray, pens, notebooks and flip flops.

    It was a quick in and out with our temperatures taken at the door and everyone wearing masks and using sanitizer. We may go there once every couple of weeks.

    The little fruit and vegetable store in Troncones is called Zamora. Beside fresh fruit it also has good local Ixtapa coffee. We stopped there to get some. Several stores in town have loud parrots in cages. One set of parrots cry like babies!

    On the way back home through Troncones, we noticed that the Thursday organic market was in progress. So, we stopped in to check it out. We bought 2 amazing samosas for lunch and a jar of mango chutney. So tasty.

    Our morning shopping spree was successful but when we got home, we spotted a termite trail on the back of Jeremy’s new house. Oh oh.
    Read more