Satellite
Show on map
  • By Bus to Cairo

    January 5, 2023 in Egypt ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    Pre bus trip…

    How would we get to Cairo from Hurghada? Well, there is an airport and it takes 1 hour by plane to get to Cairo…There are no trains that go to Cairo. A private driver would work … But we decided on taking the 6 hour Elite Gobus for $14 each. We have time and we will be able to see some of the countryside along the Red Sea before going inland to Cairo. And the bus is ‘elite’.

    It was easy to find a place that sold bus tickets. Most people here do speak a fair bit of English so Chris didn’t have any trouble buying them. Thursday, January 5 at 9:30 a.m. Check out the ticket in the photo.

    I forgot that Arabic is written right to left so when I saw the ticket, I thought that it said that it was a ticket for Cairo to Hurghada!

    I believe that we get a snack box of goodies to eat on the way.

    Post bus trip…

    Not bad. The 6 hours went by pretty quickly and we had a good driver. Almost the whole trip was through the Eastern Desert and the mountains.

    We were given a snack box with water, Nescafé coffee and Lipton tea, a croissant with cream cheese and a little chocolate cake.

    Each seat had a monitor with a charging station and a TV screen. We had a choice of 99 movies in English. We were given earphones too. Chris watched a Reacher movie with Tom Cruise and I watched a show called My Spy.

    We didn’t stop until we reached Cairo. There was an outhouse-like washroom in the middle of the bus. Everything was clean and a man made sure that we had what we needed.

    We were able to walk to the Holy Sheet Hostel from the bus station which was great since we had been sitting for so long. It was good to see all the young guys who work at the hostel again. They wanted to know how our trip went. A nice home coming.

    Lastly, we decided to go to the same restaurant we had gone to before - a koshery place. The last time 3 men who were sitting near us paid for our dinner. This time, a big family from Jordon sat next to us and guess what? They paid for our dinner too!!!!! We couldn’t believe that if could happen twice. We have no clue what the dinner cost.
    Read more