Satellite
Show on map
  • Downtown Cairo - Paris of the East

    December 11, 2022 in Egypt ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    I found this good description about what downtown Cairo is like:

    “In the 1880’s, Khedive Ismail visited Paris and was inspired to build a European city at home. He hired European – specifically French Haussmanien – architects to design the city, with wide boulevards and buildings reminiscent of those he found in Paris.

    The French architectural influence can be especially seen through the apartment buildings with their traditional French balconies and windows as well as through the marble designs framing the windows.

    The centre of the city was once home to the prosperous elite of late 19th and early 20th century Cairo. Downtown was for many years the hub for elegance and fashion; big chains like David Ades, Cicurel and many others were the most significant “fashion makers” in Egypt.

    There is no doubt that downtown witnessed neglect and a state of deterioration for several years; however recently, considerable attention has been given to this historical neighbourhood. Currently restoration works are being carried out; the restoration works are currently accomplished by several companies.”
    Read more