Satellite
Show on map
  • La Bufa for My Birthday

    March 31, 2023 in Mexico ⋅ ☁️ 23 °C

    In the distance the Cerro de La Bufa Mountain towers high above the town. Everywhere we go, we can see it. It is a huge rocky outcrop 8,200’ high and for some reason both of us wanted to go up to its summit and see what San Sebastian’s number one attraction was all about.

    So, Chris came up with the perfect birthday present for me. He arranged to have a vehicle take us to the top of La Bufa. How exciting! Chris certainly knows what I like!!!

    About 9 kilometers away, it takes 45 minutes and a hired driver/guide with a 4-wheel drive to get there. Chris arranged for a powerful dune buggie-like machine to take us up. So much fun!

    The ride up the cobblestone and dirt roads surrounded by huge trees and rocks was truly an adventure. It must have taken a lot of work to carve this road out of the side of the mountain.

    We came to a point dominated by a large telecommunications antenna. Vehicles couldn’t go any further. To get to the lookout, we had to walk on a somewhat difficult path that took us about 20 minutes. Doesn’t sound far but I was being super careful as my knee still isn’t 100%. And there was a lot of loose rubble. Finally we came out of the forest. We had arrived at the top of La Bufa. What a rush!

    There are no trees up there to block the impressive views of the Sierra Madre Mountains. There were hardly any clouds so we could clearly see San Sebastián del Oeste down below, La Estancia de Landeros in the distance and 50 km away, Banderas Bay. Bucerias appeared as a line of white buildings on the sea shore.

    Our driver told us that a lot of people get vertigo as the trail is on the edge of the bluff. There is a crude wooden fence. We were the only people up there so we had an awesome experience. We were on top of the world.

    We retraced our way back to the driver who then took us to Real Alto, a very small and old mining town with wood and stone houses nestled in the mountains. I think that only 30 people live there, mostly mariachi musicians, we were told. I am not sure how they can live in such an isolated place, high in the mountain. Its main attraction is the 400-year-old church venerating Our Lady of the Rosary. Apparently, she performs miracles. Despite the church’s very rustic white facade, inside we could feel the importance through the years of this old building.

    On the way back, the driver stopped and showed us a small.plane that had crashed on the mountain. Apparently it caught fire when in the air and dropped onto a farmer’s field. There were 2 passengers who lived but were taken to the hospital in Puerto Vallarta. The plane stayed in the field and no one ever came back to claim it.

    On this special trip, we took the time to see, feel, smell and hear all that this setting has to offer. The pine trees, the wind, the birds, the dust, the peace and the beautiful views at the top.

    Chris nailed it!
    Read more