Satellite
Show on map
  • Before Heading to Spain and the Azores

    December 28, 2023 in Canada ⋅ 🌫 6 °C

    Christmas with our daughters and their families was once again celebrated at our condo on the day of the Fergus Santa Claus parade, December 2. A traditional charcuterie lunch, a walk across the river to watch the Santa Claus parade, back to open Christmas stockings, time for tea and talk and playing games (including arm wrestling!), a roast beef dinner, then gifts and dessert. A great day for all of us. We all love this day and best of all no one was sick on this special day. Cal proudly beat Amy in arm wrestling, hands down.

    We had lots of time to figure out what we were taking on our trip - a whole month! The Schengen countries only allow us to stay in those countries for 3 months without applying for a visa so we decided to leave on January 3 this year and stay in Spain and the Azores until the end of March.

    We are packing lightly, but have to considered a range of temperatures and weather. In Barcelona and possibly Madrid, it will be cool in January. Andalucia will be warmer but who knows about the Azores where you get all the seasons in one day! Since we are in Europe, we can buy anything that we may need. Layers will work as always.

    So what will go in our trusty ebag backpacks? We are taking 1 pair of lightweight pants plus leggings/track pants, a pair of shorts/capris/skirt, 4 short sleeved T- shirts, a couple of long sleeved shirts, a light weight sweater, a bathing suit, pajama bottoms, underwear and socks, Isotoner slippers (cold tile floors in winter), a scarf/Buffs, hat, toiletries and electronics. We’ll buy sandals/flipflops if we need to.

    We are both taking our phones, iPads, a power charger and an universal travel adapter. We’ll get SIM cards at the Ponta Delgada airport.

    Also, we will each take a small daypack. Mine will be packed away. Good for laundry as most of our accommodations have washing machine.

    Both of us have a small travellers purse/murse for items we need at hand like a first aid kit, snacks, toothpicks, a guidebook, my travel notes and passports.

    On the plane we will wear comfortable pants, a short sleeved T-shirt, a fleece, our favourite ON trail shoes and a jacket. Chris is taking a puffer jacket and I’m taken my Patagonia jacket and a puffer vest. Our flight to Ponta Delgada is overnight.

    We have used a TRTL neck pillow for flights but our puffer jackets will work just fine so we are not hauling them around.

    Red Car is, as usual, picking us up and taking us to the airport.

    Our flight from Toronto to Ponta Delgada, Azores leaves at 9:05 pm and we get in at 6:50 a.m. 5 1/2 hours. We have a great 24 hour layover before the 3 hour flight to Barcelona the next morning. We are looking forward to spending a night at the Talisman Hotel and walking to the beautiful botanical garden while we are in P.D.
    Read more