Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    The Science Museum

    January 19 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    There is soooo much to see and do in Valencia! We have only experienced a few of the many, many interesting opportunities offered here. This city would be a perfect place to stay for an extended period of time. And the weather has been wonderful! That is … until today, Friday. Off and on rain all day. But that’s okay because in between showers, we went to the Museum of Sciences that is beside the Aquarium.

    It is an interactive museum of science, similar to Toronto’s, and the biggest science museum in Spain. It’s goal is to showcase science in a fun and entertaining way. The museum operates according to the slogan “prohibido no tocar, no sentir, no pensar” which means, “ it is prohibited to not touch, feel and think”.

    The exhibitions are presented in a fun and easy way, encouraging the visitor to take part in the exploration of various topics. One room was called the Zero gravity room where you look back on the earth from the atmosphere just like an astronaut would.

    The building itself, depending on the angle you look at it, resembles the skeleton of a whale and it is huge. There are three floors.

    The first floor with restaurants, gift shop and ticket offices has a view of the Turia Gardens and the giant pools that surround it.

    The second floor hosts a temporary exhibit called “The Science of Pixar" that was developed by the Boston Museum of Science, in collaboration with Pixar Animation Studios. In it, you can discover the eight creative steps that Pixar, with its computer animation, uses to turn an idea into a film: modeling, rigging, surfaces, sets and cameras, animation, simulation, lighting and rendering. As it was interactive, we could play with making creations of our own.

    The third floor is known as the "Chromosome Forest" and shows the sequencing of human DNA. Also on this floor are the "Zero Gravity," "Space Academy" and "Marvel Superheroes" exhibitions. I think that these are permanent displays. There were a lot of interesting activities there.
    In
    We spent a dry 2 hours in this interesting place - definitely a good thing to do on a rainy day.
    Read more