Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    Gibralfaro Castle

    January 29 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    Today, before driving to Granada, we had time to do a good, steep walk up the mountain the castle, Gibralfaro, and its small museum. The castle was originally built in 929 a.d. and then enlarged during the 14th century to protect the Alcazada citadel. The two buildings are connected by the exterior wall. Gibralfaro means rock of the lighthouse in Arabic and Greek.

    The Catholic monarchs, Ferdinand and Isabella, had a three month siege on the castle. Hunger forced the Malaguenos who were living there to surrender. Afterwards Ferdinand lived on the site and Isabella lived in a residence in town. An interesting historic fact is that this was the first conflict in which gunpowder was used by both sides.

    The views from the castle are the best in Malaga as you’ll see in the photos. You can even see the big La Malagueta bullring where stages are being set up for the Carnaval festivities will be held next weekend.

    At 2 pm, we stopped at a tapas place and ate a good lunch with a beer and Cortada that is a small coffee with steamed milk.

    By 3 pm, we were on the road to Granada. The drive was an easy one as the roads are excellent and there were very few drivers on them. We drove through a huge valley filled with olive orchards that we could see for miles.

    We started to see the snow capped-mountains that overlook Granada before we entered the city.

    Once again, we are staying in a hotel room for 3 nights before moving on. This hotel Casa de Reyes is located in an old house that is full of treasures. The owner has an interest in the history of this area. The room has been renovated and the bed is super comfortable. After our 8 km walk and the drive, we have to recharge for tomorrow - exploring the old city of Granada.
    Read more