Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 39

    A Carnaval Weekend

    February 10 in Spain ⋅ 🌬 12 °C

    Carnaval is being celebrated here. So different than in Mexico or other Latin countries we have been in. Much more low key but fun.

    It seems that in Spain, carnival usually begins with an opening speech by an important local person or a celebrity. Then after the speech, there are costume contests for kids and then adults, some street theater, a street parade, bands and of course partying.

    Due to the impending rain and winds, a big tent was put up near the bullring and some plans had to be changed but people, including us, found out about the new venue and the other changes and the show went on.

    So on Saturday afternoon, we went for a walk and enjoyed seeing what was going on. Most kids were in costume and a Lion King kids’ show was in progress in the tent. Next door games were being played by young boys in the huge soccer field. Restaurants were full of people partying.

    Tomorrow at noon, the Carnaval parade starts. Not sure of its route but I’m sure we will figure it out.

    Update - We went out to find the parade but got sidetracked by some fun costumed street bands singing political protest songs. The crowd loved the songs! So did we, but we didn’t understand what they were saying. Haha.

    P.S. I love the Carnaval flyer that was distributed. There are several iconic Antequera items within the picture - the pancake landforms in Torcal, the face of the Indian mountain, the flag of Spain as a mask, the boy statue in the museum and the Carnaval ribbons. Very cool.
    Read more