Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 56

    The Columbus Egg

    February 27 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    Today is our last full day in Seville. This morning, I just want to take it easy and do a little planning for City #13, Cordoba, on our Southern Spain trip. We bought our train tickets from Seville to Cordoba and booked a tour at the Mosque Cathedral. We will only be there for 3 nights before heading to Madrid.

    While I am checking things out, Chris took a 8 km walk along the river bank to see the huge ‘Columbus’ Egg’ (Nacimiento del Hombre Nuevo).

    The walk to the monument is a pleasant walk for those who love the fresh air and a bit of exercise. That’s definitely Chris!

    The 500 ton bronze, egg-shaped sculpture is 45 metres high and holds a 35 metre figure of Columbus within it. A Georgian born Russian artist Zurab Tsereteli created it and it was a gift from the city of Moscow to the city of Seville in 1992 on the occasion of the 500th anniversary of the arrival of Columbus in the Caribbean in 1492.

    To transport the monument to its current location, it was first taken by boat to a port in Northern Spain and then by road to Seville. Seven trailers and an additional two special transport trucks were needed to transport the large pieces to its destination.

    Columbus is holding a map of the ocean in his hands, which also shows the three caravels that accompanied him on his first expedition to America: ‘La Niña’, ‘La Pinta’ and the ‘La Santa María’.
    Read more