Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 60

    Arriving in Madrid

    March 2 in Spain ⋅ 🌧 8 °C

    We took the high speed train to Madrid and it took us less than 2 hours to do 396 km! It is so easy to travel around Spain with their efficient and clean train, metro and bus services!

    We knew that the metro station was connected to the train station but weren’t sure about the process for accessing it. We asked about buying subway tickets but were told that we didn’t have to buy a ticket as our train tickets from Cordoba covered them.

    The Sol station was only one stop away and our aIr BnB apartment was a 5 minute walk away from it. It was a bit of a shocker to be in such a busy city after our time in Cordoba.

    Did I mention that it was cold here? And it was raining? Thank heavens it was a short walk!
    We met our host and while we were talking, it started to hail and snow! We couldn’t believe it. It was colder here than it was in Ontario! That didn’t stop the Spaniards though from being outside under their umbrellas.

    We went for a short walk in the Sol Square just to get our bearings.

    Madrid ‘s official symbol is “The Bear and The Strawberry Tree” or “El Oso y El Madroño.” The symbol shows a strawberry tree and a bear on its hind legs trying to climb or eat from it. The symbol represents an era when bears roamed the city limits. In the middle of the Sol Plaza is a statue of the bear. Weighing over 20 tonnes, the statue serves as the emblem for Atletico de Madrid football team. People lined up to pat its rear end. Lol.

    Spain’s capital city is the central hub of all roads in the country. In Puerta del Sol, there is a sign that indicates Kilometer zero or KM 0, marking the center of the Spanish road network. This means all roads start in Madrid and connect the rest of the Iberian Peninsula.
    We found the spot. Once again people were lined up to put their toes on this spot.

    One thing we didn’t see yet, but have read about, is the famous clock. For over a century, tradition has it that people across the country usher in the New Year by eating 12 lucky grapes as the twelve chimes of midnight are struck by this clock.

    We had had a busy travel day so we had dinner in the Wok for Work place across the street from our apartment, where they made us delicious and filling stirfries, to order. Then we watched The Property Brothers, the only English Channel on TV, and went to bed.
    Read more