Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 60

    A Lovely Natural Park Beside the River

    March 2 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 8 °C

    We had two hours to kill before the taxi picked us up to take us to the Train Station. We felt that a walk along the river before travelling to Madrid would be a good idea.

    In front of our hotel is a wide sidewalk with lights that winds it way next to the river. It is in constant use, but relaxing, with people just strolling and walking their dogs, as well as runners, scooters and cyclists in the bike lanes. It is used like our cottage road.

    But below the sidewalk and right next to the river bank there is another trail that used to be the old Roman road going to Seville. This is the perfect walk for people who like to spot the ruins of ancient buildings in the brush, and birds. Our friend, Pat, would have loved checking out some of the 140 species of birds that live here and his wife, Gail, would be thrilled to see that Bee Eaters live here too!

    We walked along the upper sidewalk and then walked back on the lower trail. The area beside the river is protected and called the Sotos (groves) de la Albolafia Natural Monument.

    This city would be a great place to spend more time in. Three nights was definitely not long enough for us. We didn’t even get a chance to visit the Roman ruins.

    No wonder the old emperors, caliphs and kings chose this spot for their homes. Cordoba is a beautiful city in a beautiful location!
    Read more