Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Faial Island

    March 12 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    The Azores islands are one of two independent regions of Portugal (the other being Madeira), located roughly 22600 km or 1000 miles from mainland Portugal. It is a 9-island archipelago that are split into three groups: Eastern (São Miguel, Santa Maria), Central (Terceira, Pico, Faial, São Jorge, Graciosa), and Western (Corvo, Flores). Our focus on this trip was to see three, and maybe four, of the Central islands. My brother and his friends hiked in this area several years ago and enjoyed the experience. Because of his stories, we were extra motivated to see these islands.

    The Azores were discovered in the 14th century and were named ‘açor’, meaning Goshawk, which was a common bird known in that time. The people here can travel either by plane or by ferry to other islands depending on the weather. We knew that we would love visiting these islands as they are full of nature and there is always a bit of an adventure.

    We think that the population of Faial is around 15,038+ in an area of 173.06 square kilometres (66.82 sq mi). The city of Horta itself has a population of about 7,000. The island is 21 km long and 14 km wide, not very big , a little more than half the size of New York City.

    The drive into the town of Horta was quick, 10 minutes, on a windy, well-paved and maintained road. There were hardly any cars and it was an easy drive to the house we rented.

    My first impressions of the area we were in was odd. I kind had a feeling of being disoriented or in an alien culture. Funny thing to say. It was like going into a bit of a time warp back to the 50s? The narrow street that our house was on was full of very old buildings, some renovated and others in ruins. We wondered what it would be like inside.

    Once we entered the two bedroom house, we were pleasantly surprised. It was long and narrow and had modern facilities, including a washing machine and good bathroom. We could have never guessed what it was like inside.

    We walked to a nearby mini mart that had the basics we wanted and friendly staff but it still felt a little eery to me. Madrid to Tercira to Horta. Big difference!

    Across from our street is the ferry terminal and across a strait we could see the giant volcano, Pico, on Pico Island.

    By now we were hungry so went to Peter’s Cafe Sport that has been a Faial island staple for over a century. Sailors passing through the Azores often stop in her to get information, as well as have a rest and a nice meal. We ordered dinner and I sampled some of the cafe’s homemade passion fruit-flavoured gin liqueur produced in the Azores called Gin do Mar, with tonic and lemon slices. So good.
    Peter's restaurant has been mentioned in over thirty novels ... it has a lot of history
    .
    All in all, a day with a good beginning and good ending and a fuzzy middle. Lol.
    Read more