Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3–6

    Off to a New Island

    March 11 in Portugal ⋅ 🌬 16 °C

    We have enjoyed our mini visit to Terceira, 2 nights, and are looking forward to returning to it in a week’s time for a week. We’ll have a car then and will be able to explore the island.

    This morning, we went for a walk along the beach away from the town. There is a 3 km malecon (seaside walkway) and a boardwalk, perfect for some morning exercise before going to the airport for our flight to Faial Island. But man it was windy! 70 km winds! Chris kindly switch coats with me.

    Our prop plane was taking off at 2:50 pm so we had some time to just take it easy before leaving. Lajes airport is just a 10 minute taxi ride away so no rush.

    Surprisingly, there were a lot of people on the plane. I guess because it was going to Sao Miguel Island after we were dropped off and new passengers boarded in Faial. Anyways, it was supposed to be a 25 minute flight but ended up being close to 2 hours. Why? The weather is very unpredictable on the islands and a storm with winds and rain stopped the pilot from landing. The plane went round and round until the right moment. When we landed, there were lots of puddles but the sun was out.

    Earlier I had rented a car, Ibiza, from a recommended company called Ilha Verde. It was an easy pickup and a 10 minute drive to the house we have rented across from the harbour for 3 nights in the capital city of Horta.
    Read more