Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    The Scrimshaw Museum

    March 13 in Portugal ⋅ 🌬 17 °C

    Located on the second floor of Peter’s Café Sport, is a unique museum that displays pieces made by engraving or carving whale bones and teeth.

    We had read about it and asked a lady at the bar if we could see it. She called someone who came over to open the door for us and explain what scrimshaw was and what we were seeing.

    This museum houses the largest private Scrimshaw collection in the world, composed of whale bone and sperm whale teeth carved and engraved with a wide variety of motifs. This interesting collection includes portraits, miniature boats, jewelry and even a chess set made by the skillful fishermen and sailors of the island. The engravings are very detailed and precise.

    The museum also has a huge collection of useful objects and decorative pieces made of ivory and sperm whale bone. On the walls there is a collection of photographs, manuscripts, maps, books, and other documents related to whaling and navigation.

    Scrimshaw originated aboard whaling vessels as a way for sailors to combat monotony
    during long ocean crossings. Often this little works of art were made as souvenirs for family members.

    The girl who explained things to us, in English, did a very good job and we enjoyed every minute in this hidden museum above a bar.
    Read more