Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17–20

    Sao Miguel Island and A Horse Farm

    March 25 in Portugal ⋅ 🌬 16 °C

    Well, we had an adventure that wasn’t planned at the Lajes airport on Terceira.

    On this trip we have gone through security in airports and in train stations, several times, and we have had no issues with going through with our backpacks until now. Maybe, it has something to do with the terrorist attack in Moscow? The X-ray machine picked up some suspicious items in our bags.

    After pulling out everything, and searching through everything, they showed us a small eyeglass screwdriver, a nail file and a plastic fingernail cleaner. They asked me if I had any needles. I asked, “Sewing needles?”, and they answered yes. OMG. The choice for us was to hand the things over or check them in but we didn’t have to pay any extra. So we checked the two bags. The good thing is that the airplanes are small so we didn’t have long to wait for the bags at the other end. Now, we had to go through security again and guess what? My purse didn’t pass (it did the first time) so they put it through again and all was okay.

    The weather over the islands is ever-changing, especially with winds and fog. The people who live on the islands are used to the weather affecting their plans and planes being delayed. Of course our plane was delayed but only by an hour. The flight is only 45 minutes long.

    No issues with the car rental company, Ilha Verde, and us being a little late. They are used to it. We have used this company 3 times on the island and have been happy with them. This time they gave us an upgrade, a Peugeot SUV. Best car yet!

    By 3 p.m., all of our grrr feelings with the airport security, disappeared. Our accommodations on Sao Miguel island are beautiful. We are an 8 minute drive north of the airport, out in the country, in a luxurious home on a horse farm. Caroline, the owner, really lives in style. By the way, Caroline lives with two sweet dogs here and forty horses.

    We are here for 3 nights before heading home. It is a great place to be staying in at the end of our long trip.
    Read more