Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    La Chapilla to Juliaca to Sillustani

    October 2, 2023 in Peru ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    For this day we had planned to cycle the 100km to Juliaca and stay at a Casa de Ciclistas.

    We both had heard quite a few stories about Juliaca but our BnB hosts assured us it we would not need to worry as long as we don't walk around the town at night. However, they did also call it the "wild wild west" of Peru and a "city without rules or police" where people take justice into their own hands. So we were curious to see what this place might look like.

    The ride there was quite beautiful, pdsing lots of lagunas with flamingos as well as many Llamas, Alpacas and Vicunjas. It was mainly downhill or straight and we had lots of tailwind, making it our fastest ride so far, reaching Juliaca in less than 4 hours.

    This was definitely one of the least nice places I've come across so far. The description of it as wild west of Peru seemed to extend also to the traffic, which was more chaotic than anything I had witnessed before in Asia, South America or anywhere else.
    In addition there where pupets carrying warning messages for thieves hanging from lamp posts all around town. Not the most inviting sign.

    It took us quite some time to make our way to the center and reach the alleged casa de ciclistas...but unfortunately no-one was there to let us in.

    After a quick lunch we decided not to look for an alternative to stay in Juliaca but to continue another 25km south.
    On a small gravelroad we made our way to Sillustani, a small archaeological sight next to a laguna that we heard would let you camp on their premises for free.
    After setting up camp we still had some time to explore the ruins and enjoy the view of the sunset with a cold(ish) beer 😀

    🚴‍♀️Distance cycled: 125km
    🦙Animals spottet: Llamas, Flamingos, Alpacas, Vicunjas, lots of dogs
    Read more