Satellitt
Vis på kartet
  • Dag 43–44

    Salar de Uyuni

    30. oktober 2023, Bolivia ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    Finally it was time for the Salt desert!
    The day started off with 30km gravel and lots of washboarded roads to Tahua, a little village at the edge of the Salar.

    From there we spent 2 days cycling 120km through the world's biggest salt desert!

    On day one we made it to the Isla Incahuasi, the cactus covered island, in the middle of the saltflat, where you could restock on water and even buy a cold beer.

    We camped 10min east of the island, in what felt like the middle of nowhere.
    While I was afraid there would be many 4x4s cruising around the salt flats, we only maybe sighted 10 over the whole day!

    Once the sun was gone the wind picked up and it became quite cold quite fast. After some attempts of photographing the night sky and the tents, I gave up and crawled back into my sleeping bag, from which I could peek out of the tent to admire the night sky, while still being warm and toasty ⛺️

    On day two we slept in, hoping for the temperatures to normalise later in the morning (which they did). With virtually nonwind we cycled the remaining 70 km to the eastern edge of the Salar. This was quite a mental challenge as the scenery remains pretty much exactly the same for hours and hours on end, and what feels like 10k progress is usually just a fraction of it...

    On our way out we passed bybthe Dakar ralley monument and had some chats with other cyclists and tourists interested in our journey, before carrying on for 30km more on asphalted steets to thebcity of Uyuni.

    🚴‍♀️Distance cycled: 180km (120 salt, 30 gavel, 30 asphalt)
    🔥Amount of bodyparts sunburned: 2 (my poor ears!)
    🧂Saltyness level: 10/10
    Les mer